With the many restaurants and fast food joints popping up everywhere, it can be a challenge to maintain a healthy lifestyle. According to an article from Harvard, a lot of people know that they need to eat more healthfully but do not know where to start.
Some say it requires discipline and motivation to start a healthy lifestyle. While there are various ways to jumpstart a healthier life such as exercise, we can also start with the food we cook at home.
Home cooking is essential to a healthy lifestyle. Why don’t people cook more meals at home? Chances are, they either lack time to prepare meals or are not confident in their cooking skills. In the past few decades, people have been preparing food at home less often and are now relying on fast food. While it may be more efficient and speedy, the disadvantage of eating fast food is not knowing how it is cooked and the ingredients used. If more meals are prepared at home, there is a greater chance of controlling the portion size, cooking method and ingredients used.
How do we get started and switch to a healthier lifestyle? It’s more than just searching healthier recipes online. We have to be willing to make changes at home. We have a few tips to get you started.
- Shop for fruits and vegetables at organic and farmers’ markets. Buying canned and frozen is alright but go for the fresher option if you can.
- Make sure you have kitchen appliances that can help you make that switch. For example, instead of frying chicken on the stove, you can roast chicken in the oven. In this way, you can control the amount of oil used when cooking.
- Cook food in large batches. You can prepare meals for the week beforehand. You can do this the weekend before the busy week starts when you don’t have any more time to prepare food.
- Start with something easy like soup, sliced fruits and steamed vegetables.
- You can get creative and substitute some of the ingredients. Learn and experiment with different alternatives. Instead of frying potatoes, you can switch to sweet potatoes and roast them in the oven.
- Use non stick pans and trays so you don’t have to rely on adding too much oil.
Do you have other tips you’d like to share? Our Craftbuilt Kitchens professionals can help you get started on planning a kitchen that can fit your lifestyle. We also have kitchen recipes that can help you get started. Visit our Updated Modern Kitchen Showroom at Stones Corner today and avail of our special offers!